PBS Kids Writers Contest
Contest runs February 1st - April 2nd, 2018
Kids in Grades K-3 Are Encouraged to Submit Original Stories for the Regional and State Contest.
It’s time to sharpen those pencils for the annual PBS KIDS Writers Contest, designed to promote the advancement of children’s literacy skills through hands-on, active learning. The contest is open to children in kindergarten, first, second and third grades and encourages them to celebrate their creativity while building literacy skills by writing and illustrating their own stories.
WVIA Special Presentations Tanvi Salil Bedarkar - 2017 PBS Kids Young Writers Contest Winner Kindergarten winner for her story Rosy and Cailey
WVIA Special Presentations Ava Catherine Rose Argento - 2017 PBS Kids Young Writers Contest Winner 1st Grade winner for her story "Anthony and His Vacuum"
WVIA Special Presentations Maximilien Pupin - 2017 PBS Kids Young Writers Contest Winner 2nd Grade winner for his story "The Lonely Drop of Water:
WVIA Special Presentations Charles Zhao - 2017 PBS Kids Young Writers Contest Winner 3rd Grade winner for his story "The Magical Teddy Bear"
- 1st Place - Thea Sten - The Unicorn and the Rainbow
Thea Sten - Kindergarten Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest Thea Sten - Kindergarten Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest
- 1st Place - Abigail Schneider - Sally and the Bathtub Shark
Abigail Schneider - 1st Grade Winner PBS Writers Contest Abigail Schneider - 1st Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest
- 1st Place - Maya Shakfa - The Weird Frogs and the Lawn Mower
Maya Shakfa - 2nd Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest Maya Shakfa - 2nd Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest
- 1st Place - Abigail Handojo - Valentidis
Abigail Handojo - 3rd Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest Abigail Handojo - 3rd Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest
- 1st Place - Abby Schneider - The Dog Who Loved To Go On The Bus
Abby Schneider - Kindergarten Winner PBS Kids Young Writers Abby Schneider - Kindergarten Winner PBS Kids Young Writers
- 1st Place - Elise Zimmerman - Dandelion's Adventure
Elise Zimmerman - 1st Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest Elise Zimmerman - 1st Grade Winner PBS Kids Writers Contest
- 1st Place - Eleni S. Farwell - My Butterfly
Eleni S. Farwell - 2nd Grade Winner PBS Kids Young Writers Eleni S. Farwell - 2nd Grade Winner PBS Kids Young Writers
- 1st Place - Cooper Jones - If I Was A Snowflake
- 1st Place - Ava Lawless - Flippers Learns to Swim
- 1st Place - Lila Shelton - Anna's Big Competition
- 1st Place - Lindsey Yencha - I Was Just About to Take A Bite of My Hotdog When...
- 1st Place - Alivia Lawless - Freddy Learns to Fly
- 1st Place - Sophie Haus for the story Sophie and Emma to the Rescue
- 2nd Place - Laura Durkin for the story The Mystery of the Lost Camera
- 3rd Place - Liam Leer for the story All Aboard
- 1st Place - Luke Peters for the storyMy First Bike Race
- 2nd Place - Riley Boock for the story Don't Sneeze over Cheese
- 3rd Place - Anna Belko for the story Tony's House
- 1st Place - Liam McBride for the storyThe Lonely Frog
- 2nd Place - Andrew Bromberger for the story The Fish Fight
- 3rd Place - Lucas Ryan for the story Gunther the Penguin Superhero
- 1st Place - Olivia Mangan for the story Chester Saves the Day
- 2nd Place - Sophia Vivian Crisci from McAdoo for the story Fred the Fish
- 3rd Place - Emily Neyhard for the story Life on Another Planet
- 1st Place - Riley Boock from Jefferson Township for the story Little Squirrel’s First Winter
- 2nd Place - Elizabeth Boop from Mifflinburg for the story Animal Adventure
- 1st Place - Calvin Jones from Danville for the storyThe Runaway Tooth
- 2nd Place - Margaret Haines from Madison Township for the story The Tale of a Bee
- 3rd Place - Emily Hunsicker from Nesquehoning for the story The Dinosaur That Didn't Want to Go to School
- 1st Place - Lydia Getty from Bloomsburg for the storyThe Lonely Turtle
- 2nd Place - Abigail Burrell from Bloomsburg for the story The Dog Who Couldn't Find His Bone
- 3rd Place - Carly Pawloski from Hudson for the story Daisy and the Science Project
- 1st Place - Sean Sopko from Orwigsburg for the story Hermie’s Adventure
- 2nd Place - Sydney Lescowitch from McAdoo for the story The Color Changing Lion
- 3rd Place - Molly Gill from Lewisburg for the story Lucy Lope
Toby's Big Life (2.1 MB)
Over 340 teen writers turned in stories for the 2011 "It's All Write!" short story writing contest. Click on the titles below to read the stories or get the entire 2011 "It's All Write!" Book.
Middle School Winners:
High School 9th/10th Grade Winners:
High School 11th/12th Grade Winners:
2011 finalists in the three grade categories:
|Matthew Boone “Fading Angel”|
Elena Chambers “Conquering Samantha Hudson”
Connor Dehring "Baseball and Bullies"
Genera Fields "The Girl That Hated Fairy Tales”
Hannah Foster "Finding the Light”
Emma Gillies "Arala's Tale”
Ross Grogan-Kaylor "Raid on Seafort”
Cynthia Jia "Feathers"
Alban Jimenez "You Can Go Home on the Moving Train--I Will Build the Tracks"
Sarah Beth Kimsey "Maurice's Departure"
|Eli Kirshner "Theft of No Value"|
Sarah Kopacz "Where We Belong"
Kate Lukomski "Bella"
Erica Noble "Mark's Story"
Sloan Olsen "Never Thought I Was”
Paloma Paez-Coombe "The Glass Bottle”
Madi Rhea "Rain in the Forecast”
Nate Simon "Fifty Feet”
Alma Thompson "Fort Independence”
High School 9th/10th Grade:
|Rebecca Amidei "Flawless"|
Stephanie Boyd "The Freshie"
Iona Grosu "Passing Trains"
Aglaia Ho "The Song of the Butterfly"
Quinn Johns "Bread and Circuses"
Piper Kachman "The Beginning of the End"
Kate Lipman "Mammoth Games"
|Lydia Munz "Ropeburns and Cigarette Scars"|
Kaitlin Ruiz "Taking the Leap"
Abby Shotwell "Perfection as a Science"
Gabrielle Vuylsteke "The Blind Girl and the Protegee"
Wendy Wiland "Wings"
Sid Wilder "The Visit"
High School 11th/12th Grade:
|Jing Chai "My America"|
Mark Cortes "Unsatisfied Customer"
Michelle Grifka "Surprises"
Alyssa Holmes "Photo Album"
Hannah Kagan "The Sound of Silence"
Logan LeDuc "Brittle"
|Brianna Matava "Window Washer"|
Andrea Nicholson "Selfish"
Victoria Parr "Outside of God's Shadow"
Emmeline Ringquist "Greetings"
Kim Tran "Minotaur in the Darkness"
Margaret Whittier-Ferguson "Stop Bath"